We had our routine 20 weeks ultrasound on April 6th and when we arrived we told the technician that while we wanted to know the sex of the baby, we didn't want to know right then. She was more than happy to oblige and when it came time to check out the babies "goods" she had us turn our heads so she could capture a picture and print it out. She then folded it and stapled it up in an envelope to be sure that there would be no peeking!
That evening we had dinner with some of our closest friends and afterwards, we opened the envelope and let Bella announce the news! I have to admit that I saw "BOY" before she did and at that moment a grin spread across my face and I looked to watch Andy's expression as he heard the news. He has dreamed of having a son for so long and to see the look on his face when he realized that his dream was finally coming true, was just priceless! Of course the story can't end there with the McMinn's...it wasn't seconds later that Chloe burst into hysterics saying through her sobs, "I wanted it to be a baby girl! I wanted a baby sister!" It was both heart breaking and funny to see her so distraught while everyone else celebrated! Poor things cried on and off (mostly on) for over an hour. She went to bed telling us, "but I just really wanted a baby sister." By the morning she wasn't crying about it and said that she was "a little excited to have a baby brother", and now while she fully understands that she is having a brother, she still tells us that she really wanted a sister. I can live with that. I know it takes me some time to work through disappointment and so I'm okay allowing her the time necessary to adjust to the idea!
The whole notion of having a son has taken some time to really sink in for me, but as the days go by I find myself getting more and more excited! It's such a shift from what I'm used to though...I automatically gravitate toward everything girly and in the few stores I've popped in to since finding out, it feels so strange to even be looking a boy stuff, let alone thinking about having a boy of our own! We would have been so grateful and content to have found out we were having another healthy girl, but I would by lying if I said that knowing God saw fit to bless us with a healthy boy feels amazing! Through all the trials of the past year, we've constantly reminded ourselves that "God is good all the time"...even we we don't necessarily "feel" it, the truth of His goodness doesn't change. It's times like these that we just stand in awe of His goodness through it all!
In addition to the blessing of our son, in the short amount of time since we've known, we've already started to receive offers of gently used clothing and other baby boy items that are no where to be found in the McMinn household. While some of what we have is usable, there are somethings that we just can't reuse from the girls and it's such a blessing to have people be so generous. Instead of worrying about buying all new clothes, with what we are receiving we should be able to use that money to instead purchase things like a new car seat and stroller...bigger ticket items that add up quickly. What a blessing to have resources freed up that we would have spent on clothing that babies go through so quickly and instead use them for more long term items!
In case you can't tell we are definitely on "cloud nine". A while back I wrote that when we found out we were expecting another baby, there was a deep sense for us that this child was THE child we had been praying for and as my pregnancy has progressed, that feeling has been solidified over and over again. We love our girls more than we could have ever imagined and to know that we get the opportunity to welcome another child into our family feels just as incredible as the first two did!
Here's a picture of our sweet baby boy...profile pictures like this are my very favorite. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment